Pasta Fagioli (‘Fazool’) a la Marinella
Feeds approx. 6 / Double this recipe for a big crowd
Takes approx. 20 minutes to make
What You'll Need ~ Remember you can modify this to what's in your pantry! ~
- XV Olive Oil
- Chopped onions (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can Tomato Paste (I use the seasoned Contadina or Heinz brand)
- Red or White Wine or No Wine at all
- Chopped Spinach (I use frozen you can do fresh)
- Salt & Pepper
- McCormick brand ‘Perfect Pinch, Garlic & Herb Salt Free’ seasoning
- Garlic powder (or you can use fresh)
- Red Pepper flakes
- 1 can Giant (or whatever store you’re in) store brand Pork & Beans (no other ever tastes as good | If you’re going vegetarian use the beans of your choice )
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce (I use my homemade or your favorite brand)
- Ditalini or any other little pasta will work
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth (OR you can use the water from the pasta after its been cooked al dente)
In a small pot boil water for pasta, salt water & add pasta (use however much or little pasta you want) don’t fully cook the pasta leave it chewy so it doesn’t turn to mush in fagioli. Drain, reserve pasta water & put pasta back in pot for use in fagioli pot.
In a pot heat XV olive oil, add onion (again eyeball how much you want) saute’, add entire can of tomato paste and sauté it to caramelize it, add wine approx. ½ cup.
Add chopped spinach, season spinach with Perfect Pinch, S&P, Garlic and then add red pepper flakes to taste. Sauté spinach, add beans, chopped tomatoes & tomato sauce.
Add some of the pasta water and bring to quick boil, turn flame to low, add pasta, some chicken or vegetable broth & more pasta water or broth if you want.
Turn flame off
Serve with grated Parmesan & crusty bread.
It’s great to have cooked crumbled sausage on the side if someone wants the addition of meat.
PS - I'd love to know how this turned out for you! Leave me a comment or post a pic on social media and tag me @marinellajewelry